The event has started! Here we go, you insomniac!
I use a lot of in-game macros, and it took me quite a while to get everything set up the same way for all characters. I turn on broadcast and type in some commands for all characters at the same time: /importui <filename> to set up the UI layout and settings to my normal one. /importkeybindings <filename> to set up my keybindings on all characters in one go. Then I start typing in the macros…
Copy/paste doesn’t seem to work reliably between characters. So I turn on broadcast again and type in new fresh macros letter by letter. This is what I got in the end:
- On the main action bar, I first have a macro for single-target dps. The second button will be Vex. The third button and fourth buttons are both the same DoT macro. The duplication will make sense when there’s a tank on the team who has a different macro on three and four. All characters hit the same button at the same time.
I also have macros for a Finisher, a ranged AoE, a close-range AoE, and a mana regen macro.
- On the second bar, I have my multibox tools. One macro will make all characters start to follow the character that I’m currently controlling with my mouse and keyboard – the fullscreen character on the left or right computer. Another macro will make all other characters assist that current character. I also have a helper macro that just makes everyone select the current character (more on that later).
- The third action bar contains macros for healing raid members by just mousing over their health bar in the Raid UI and press a button. Different buttons cast different types of heals – there are instant heals, heavy heals, instant HoTs, heavy HoTs, dispell, shield, etc. I can press these buttons on any character I currently have up on screen. The dedicated healer in the team will respond and heal the person I have my mouse over.
- The last action bar is for leader healing. It’s the same spells as in #3, but I don’t have to mouse over anything. The dedicated healer will always cast these spells on the leader (the character I’m currently controlling the most).
I have two computers next to each other. The one of the left is my main computer and it runs three characters – Dansa, Dimma and Despoine. The one of the right is a little less beefier and runs two characters – Dannya and Domona.
I normally have Dansa (the tank) up on the left screen and Domona (the healer) up on the right screen, but notice the small PiP (Picture-in-Picture) video feeds in the lower left corner of each screen. They show the whole screen of every other character, so I can always see what everyone is doing at the same time. I can move the mouse freely between each screen and if I click on any of the PiPs, that character will maximize and become fullscreen. The previous character will minimize into a PiP.
Do you have suggestions what I should try to achieve, monsters to vanquish, adventures to embark on or other challenges? Do you want to see if a multiboxer with just clerics can take on an major rift? Perhaps a specific dungeon you like to see?
Add a reply to this post with requests, ideas, and challenges!
Dannya is always up for something exciting!
Wow, I had to do a little panic rewiring of all network connections in the house tonight! Luckily I had an unused network switch I could hook up, and I even found its power cable in a box in the garage.
The cable hub isn’t pretty right now, but it works. Hopefully everything stays stable during the event on Saturday.
This is how real men multibox! And women.
The YouTube channel has been created! The first video is a test of the five sisters defeating an easy foothold.
Trion has written a F.A.Q. about their Extra Life event in Rift. Here are the highlights:
- On October 14, the day before the event, Trion will reveal which server is going to be used for their event. They are carefully monitoring the server populations and don’t want an overcrowded server. They will have a second server ready as backup in worst case.
- The server will be a regular North American PvE server.
- The event will officially start at 8:00am PDT on October 15 (that’s 10:00am CDT, 11:00am EST, and 15:00 GMT).
- Even though Extra Life is a 24-hour event, Trion will continue their event until 12:00am PDT Monday, October 17th (the end of Sunday). If you need to take a break, you can do so, but it’s encouraged to do the whole 24-hour stretch in one go.
- Participants can chose to play either Defiant or Guardian. Trion Worlds will have a guild on both sides and guild recruiters will be present throughout the day in the Level 1-9 chat.